1-10-11-10-00-10-11-01-0

Friday, May 11, 2007

reservation...we want now.

Note: Article is about reservation and supports it. It is long and improperly organized.

The inequalities in "life-improving" higher education are attributed on three factors:
(i) caste/religion.
(ii) rural/urban.
(iii) region.


When I say above factors, from my social exposure/understanding, following are the under represented groups:
(i) caste/religion - st,sc,obc...some level bc population.
(ii) rural/urban - rural population.
(iii) region - eastern india - assam,thiripura, etc and kashmir.

And of course, above factors very well cross live each other or independently.

To some level my understanding is detailed in some articles, and one among them shows following:
http://www.thehindu.com/2006/05/22/stories/2006052202261100.htm





To my surprise, when I'm concerned about under-representation, above shows some over-representation data as well.

You name the system what you want...reservation, equal-sharing, social scholarship of opportunity(not money), social justice, affirmative action, or what ever.

I'm not worried about the name. The truth is some population of India is under represented and some population of India is over represented when comes to life-improving fruits (B.E, MBBS, MBA, etc). These two kinds of population live under the same brotherhood of India and administrated by same government elected by them and paying tax to same government. When comes to sharing these establishments created by their government using their tax money.... I believe "equal sharing" and "balanced equal representation" of these populations is essential for the welfare of country.

What I believe "just" and my country needs is (in the order with time):
1. Eliminate under-representation existing on caste/religion basis.
2. Bring equal representation on the scale of case/religion basis.
3. Eliminate under-representation existing on rural/urban basis.
4. Bring equal representation on the scale of rural/urban basis.
5. Address the under representation based on region (eastern india - assam,thiripura, etc and kashmir).

I truly aware of poor/wealthy population in India and how their sharing of "life-improving" fruits exist in today India. In my social experience, the poor/wealthy factor truly comes after the four cases above.

*** One thing I believe worth mentioning is, equal representation on sex level - men and women. I may be wrong, but here's my observation. The women representation is better from urban than their counterpart from rural side. As I'm a rural person, I believe when equal representation for rural is promoted by system, the men representation would dominate vehemently than women. So, by then, ensuring women representation by the system is important as well.

(As I'm a male, I am very well fail to understand/estimate women representation in the domain.)


***A quick note of "my stand" on the current OBC reservation debacle:

1. In my view the proposed protocol for reservation safeguards current volume of "Open Category" admissions. How? - Govt. asked Institutes to increase the current capacity by 27% to accommodate new coming reservation students. And as usual govt. funds for this expansion. The naked fact is, the current level of admission is not affected, new seats created to admit more OBC students.
2. In my view, Reservation should help to achieve "equal sharing" and "efficient sharing". Reservation remains as a successful tool for affirmative action against discrimination (social justice) and ensures "equal sharing".
3. I strongly believe the nation-wide OBC reservation is need of the hour.
4. I believe the Reservation system in India suppose to address other inequalities(listed above) with top priority than the Economical inequalities at this hour.
5. I strongly oppose the Interim stay by Supreme Court to the new Reservation Act.
6. Supreme Court's order staying reservation for OBCs in Central higher educational institutions is a setback to the process.
7. I oppose the offensive remarks (i.e. "products would be intellectual pigmies") in SC's order. I personally see this as offensive statement and racial in nature. And this interim order suffers from a serious lack of objectivity and balance.
8. My stance is "We need reservation - NOW".

(The article is based on my social experience and understanding, and totally my personnel opinion. You are welcome to read, understand and differ. Author is open to understanding any truth you have to share.)

Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Rate this post at www.thamizmanam.com Current rating is: Click on the stars for voting pad.